Platelet Rich Plasma (aka vampire facelift)
The use of “platelet rich plasma” (PRP) treatments in the field of aesthetics is relatively new. PRP, that is, using a patient’s own platelets to assist and encourage healing has been used in medicine, (particularly orthopedics), for more than thirty years.
Plasma is the part of our blood rich in platelets. Platelets are important for clotting blood and repairing damaged tissue. Platelets release ‘growth factor’ as the clot is formed. This growth factor attracts and stimulates stem cells to repair and produce new healthy tissue.
The PRP is obtained from your blood through centrifuge. Because your own blood is used, there is no danger of disease transmission or allergic reaction and little down time. The only side effect of the treatment can be the appearance of some localised bruising.
The concentrated platelet solution, obtained from your blood, is injected by our Aesthetic Doctor into the areas which will best benefit from tissue renewal and collagen production. Local anesthesia is provided as required. The skin will appear slightly sunburned and you may have slight discomfort at the injection points for up to 48 hours.
The injected platelets work to increase collagen and overall skin health for up to two weeks. Newly produced collagen plumps the skin and reverses the visible signs of aging.
Within two to three weeks, for most patients, their skin will feel and appear firmer and have a healthier more vibrant glow. The improvements continue over the next 12 months as newly produced collagen continues to improve the overall appearance of the dermis.
Not all PRP treatments are equal! The “vampire facelift” term has been used to describe beauty salon treatments and cosmetics! PRP, as described in this document, is performed by an Aesthetic Doctor in a medical setting and after a full medical consultation and skin assessment.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can Platelet Rich Plasma Treat?
PRP assists in:
- Treating sun damaged and prematurely aged skin;
- Improving skin texture in the cheek, mid face, back of hands and decollatage areas;
- Improving / reducing the significance of acne scarring;
- Treating issues found in the periorbital rim (around the eyes) including fine lines e.g. “crows feet”;
- Improving the jaw line including reducing the appearance of fine lines around the mouth;
- Treating sagging neck and face skin;
Who is a good candidate for PRP Facial Stem Cell Stimulation?
The treatment is ideal for individuals of almost any age who are looking for gradual but noticeable improvement in skin texture, tone and colour, with minimal or no downtime.
PRP is not effective in treating advanced wrinkles and or severe scarring.
PRP cannot be provided to patients with skin diseases (SLE, porphyria, allergies), cancer, chemotherapy, severe metabolic, anemia and systemic disorders, and abnormal platelet function (i.e. blood disorders) underlying sepsis.
Patients on certain medications will need to cease the use of their medication(s) for a few days prior and after treatment.
How many treatments are usually required?
For the best results 3 to 4 treatments performed a month apart will achieve the best result. Each treatment will take between 30 and 45 minutes.
How long does PRP last?
Patients can usually expect a noticeable difference in their skin from one week and can expect a difference in skin tone / texture for up to 18 to 24 months.
What is the cost of PRP?
The cost, generally, depends on the size and number of the areas being treated. For smaller treatments PRP starts at around $350. A fuller more comprehensive treatment would cost around $550.
Is it painful?
There is some discomfort during the treatment. We minimize, as far as is possible, the discomfort endured though the use of local anesthesia, as and where required.
What does Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy Treatment involve?
- A consultation is conducted by our Aesthetic Doctor. Based on your concerns and desires the Doctor will produce a treatment plan.
- Blood is collected from you; the same as when you have a simple blood test.
- The blood is centrifuged and separated into plasma, red blood cells and platelets / white blood cells.
- Platelet rich plasma is extracted and then activated with calcium chloride. Activation increases the release of ‘growth factor’ improving stem cell stimulation which in turn increases the repair of and production of new healthy tissue.
- Local anesthesia is provided as required.
- The platelet rich plasma is injected into the designated treatment areas.
Contact us now for an appointment ...
P: +61 2 6058 6162 A/H 0407 586 731